Physiological ecology, Population ecology and evolution, Aquatic animals
1981-1985, BSc. Department of Aquaculture, Ocean University of China, China
1986-1992, PhD. Faculty of Fisheries, Hokkaido University, Hokkaido, Japan.
1992-1994, Postdoc. Department of Biology, Beijing Normal University, China.
1994-2000, Assoc. professor. Department of Biology, Beijing Normal University, China
2000-present, professor. College of Life Sciences, Beijing Normal University, China
Our lab studies how aquatic animals such as turtles, fish, shrimps adapt to their living environments, expecially stressful environments, and the molecular and physiological mechanisms of environmental adaptation. Another research area in our lab is to study evolution in life history strategy and population ecology with rotifers as model animals.
♦ Research Articles
1. Wenyi Zhang, Hui Jia, Cuijuan Niu*, Xutong Chen, Kenneth B. Storey, 2019 Effect of exogenous hydrogen peroxide on ROS balance and antioxidant response in Chinese soft-shelled turtle Pelodiscus sinensis. Aquaculture 501:293-303.
2. Li Wenjie, Lian Binxia, and Niu Cuijuan*，2019 Effects of Temperature on Life History Strategy of the Rotifer Euchlanis dilatata. Zoological Science, 36(1) : 52-57.
3. Bo-Jian Chen, Wen-Yi Zhang, Cui-Juan Niu*, Wen-Jie Li, Hui Jia and Kenneth B. Storey, 2019 Antioxidant response to acute cold exposure and during recovery in juvenile Chinese soft-shelled turtles (Pelodiscus sinensis). Journal of Experimental Biology, 222. doi:10.1242/jeb.197863.
4. Wenyi Zhang, Cuijuan Niu*, Yukun Liu and Kenneth B. Storey, 2019 Positive or negative? The shell alters the relationship among behavioral defense strategy, energy metabolic levels and antioxidant capacity in freshwater turtles. Frontiers in Zoology,16:3. 6:3 https://doi.org/10.1186/s12983-019-0301-5.
5. Li Wenjie, Niu Cuijuan* and Li xiaoxuan，2019 Offspring of aged mother of rotifer Brachionus calyciflorus shows lower sexual propensity than their elder siblings under crowded conditions. Journal of Oceanology and Limnology 37(5): 1604-1610
6. Wenyi Zhang, Bojian Chen, Cuijuan Niu*, Yuan Lin, Hui Jia and Kenneth B. Storey, 2019 Response of the Chinese soft-shelled turtle to acute heat stress: insights from the systematic antioxidant defense. Frontiers in physiology, Front. Physiol. 10: doi: 10.3389/fphys.2019.00710
7. Gao Ying, Xu Huanhuan, Lili, Niu Cuijuan, 2020 Immune defense parameters of wild fish as sensitive biomarkers for ecological risk assessment in shallow sea ecosystems: a case study with wild mullet (Liza haematocheila) in Liaodong Bay. Ecotoxicology and Environmental Safety 194: 110337 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2020.110337.
1. Giraud-Billoud M., Rivera-Ingraham G., Moreira D., Burmester T. , Castro-Vazquez A., Carvajalino-Fernández J., Dafre A., Niu C. Tremblay N., Paital B., Rosa R., Storey J., Vega A., Zhang W., Yepiz-Plascencia G., Zenteno-Savin T., Storey K., Hermes-Lima M., 2019 Review: Twenty years of the ‘Preparation for Oxidative Stress (POS) theory: ecophysiological advantages and molecular strategies. Comparative biochemistry and Physiology Part A Molecular and Integrative Physiology 234: 36-49.
College of Life Sciences,
Beijing Normal University,
P. R. China
Tel. : +86-10-58807966