Evolution and Ecology of Birds
2001-2005, BSc, Beijing Normal University, China
2005-2010, PhD, Beijing Normal University, China
2009-2010, Visiting PhD Student, University of Bern, Switzerland
2010-2012, Postdoc, College of Resources Science & Technology, Beijing Normal University, China
2012-2014, Assistant Professor, College of Life Sciences, Beijing Normal University, China
2014-present Associate Professor, College of Life Sciences, Beijing Normal University, China
2018-2019 Visiting Scholar, Department of Organismic & Evolutionary Biology, Harvard University, US
I am broadly interested in the evolutionary genomics and speciation of birds, mainly on the role of sexual selection and natural selection in the scenario of divergence with gene flow between sibling species. I am also interested in the evolution of host specificity of avian haemosporidian parasites, and the parasite-mediated selection on the diversity of MHC genes in the bird hosts.
♦ Research Articles
1. Wei C, Dong L#, Li S-H, Alström P, Liu Y, Xia C, Yao C-T, Zhang Y#. From the Himalayas to a continental Island: Integrative species delimitation in the Brownish-flanked Bush Warbler Horornis fortipes complex. Molecular phylogenetics and evolution. 2019;131:219-27.
2. Liu B, Deng Z, Huang W, Dong L#, Zhang Y. High prevalence and narrow host range of haemosporidian parasites in Godlewski's bunting ( Emberiza godlewskii ) in northern China. Parasitology international. 2019;69:121-5.
3. Chen G, Xia C, Dong L, Lyu N, Zhang Y. Delayed plumage maturation in green‐backed flycatchers ( Ficedula elisae ): An evidence of female mimicry. Ethology. 2019;125(1):64-72.
4. Liu Y, Liu S, Yeh C-F, Zhang N, Chen G, Que P, Dong L#, Li S-H#. The first set of universal nuclear protein-coding loci markers for avian phylogenetic and population genetic studies. Scientific reports. 2018;8(1):15723.
5. Jia T, Huang X, Valkiūnas G, Yang M, Zheng C, Pu T, Zhang Y, Dong L, Suo X, Zhang C. Malaria parasites and related haemosporidians cause mortality in cranes: a study on the parasites diversity, prevalence and distribution in Beijing Zoo. Malaria journal. 2018;17(1):234.
6. Chen YC, Nazarizadeh M, Lei FM, Yang XJ, Yao CT, Dong F, Dong L, Zou FS, Drovetski SV, Liu Y. The niches of nuthatches affect their lineage evolution differently across latitude. Molecular ecology. 2018.
7. Zhang Y-N, Liu B-Y, Dong L, Jiang H-X, Wang X, Wang X-M, Song C-Z, Li X-M, Li S-H. High genetic diversity and absence of phylogeographic structure in breeding populations of vulnerable Saundersilarus saundersi (Charadriiformes: Laridae) in Bohai Bay, China. Conservation Genetics. 2017;18(2):495-500.
8. Zhou S, Tian H, Wu X, Xu B, Yang J, Chan KKY, Huang S, Dong L, Brownstein J, Xu B. Genetic evidence for avian influenza H5N1 viral transmission along the Black Sea–Mediterranean Flyway. Journal of General Virology. 2016;97(9):2129-34.
9. Song G, Zhang R, Qu Y, Wang Z, Dong L, Kristin A, Alström P, Ericson PG, Lambert DM, Fjeldså J. A zoogeographical boundary between the Palaearctic and Sino‐Japanese realms documented by consistent north/south phylogeographical divergences in three woodland birds in eastern China. Journal of Biogeography. 2016;43(11):2099-112.
10. Song G, Zhang R, DuBay SG, Qu Y, Dong L, Wang W, Zhang Y, Lambert DM, Lei F. East Asian allopatry and north Eurasian sympatry in Long‐tailed Tit lineages despite similar population dynamics during the late Pleistocene. Zoologica Scripta. 2016;45(2):115-26.
11. Zhang L, Dong L, Lin L, Feng L, Yan F, Wang L, Guo X, Luo A. Asian elephants in China: estimating population size and evaluating habitat suitability. PloS one. 2015;10(5):e0124834.
12. Wei C, Jia C, Dong L, Wang D, Xia C, Zhang Y, Liang W. Geographic variation in the calls of the Common Cuckoo ( Cuculus canorus ): isolation by distance and divergence among subspecies. Journal of ornithology. 2015;156(2):533-42.
13. Tian H*, Zhou S*, Dong L*, Van Boeckel TP*, Pei Y, Wu Q, Yuan W, Guo Y, Huang S, Chen W. Climate change suggests a shift of H5N1 risk in migratory birds. Ecological modelling. 2015;306:6-15.
14. Tian H*, Zhou S*, Dong L*, Van Boeckel TP*, Cui Y, Newman SH, Takekawa JY, Prosser DJ, Xiao X, Wu Y. Avian influenza H5N1 viral and bird migration networks in Asia. PNAS. 2015;112(1):172-7.
15. Tian H, Cui Y, Dong L, Zhou S, Li X, Huang S, Yang R, Xu B. Spatial, temporal and genetic dynamics of highly pathogenic avian influenza A (H5N1) virus in China. BMC infectious diseases. 2015;15(1):54.
16. Huang X, Dong L#, Zhang C, Zhang Y. Genetic diversity, temporal dynamics, and host specificity in blood parasites of passerines in north China. Parasitology research. 2015;114(12):4513-20.
17. Dong L, Wei M, Alström P, Huang X, Olsson U, Shigeta Y, Zhang Y, Zheng G. Taxonomy of the Narcissus Flycatcher Ficedula narcissina complex: an integrative approach using morphological, bioacoustic and multilocus DNA data. Ibis. 2015;157(2):312-25.
18. Alström P, Xia C, Rasmussen PC, Olsson U, Dai B, Zhao J, Leader PJ, Carey GJ, Dong L, Cai T. Integrative taxonomy of the Russet Bush Warbler Locustella mandelli complex reveals a new species from central China. Avian Research. 2015;6(1):9.
19. Dong L, Heckel G, Liang W, Zhang Y. Phylogeography of Silver Pheasant ( Lophura nycthemera L.) across China: aggregate effects of refugia, introgression and riverine barriers. Molecular ecology. 2013;22(12):3376-90.
20. Zhou Z, Sun Y, Dong L, Xia C, Lloyd H, Zhang Y. Breeding biology of Asian House Martin Delichon dasypus in a high-elevation area. Forktail. 2012;28:62-6.
21. Dong L, Niu W, Zhou Z, Hsu Y-C, Sun Y, Lloyd H, Zhang Y. Assessing the genetic integrity of captive and wild populations for reintroduction programs: the case of Cabot’s Tragopan in China. Chinese Birds. 2011;2(2):65-71.
22. Dong L, Zhang J, Sun Y, Liu Y, Zhang Y, Zheng G. Phylogeographic patterns and conservation units of a vulnerable species, Cabot’s tragopan ( Tragopan caboti ), endemic to southeast China. Conservation genetics. 2010;11(6):2231-42.
23. Sun Y, Dong L, Zhang Y, Zheng G, Browne SJ. Is a forest road a barrier for the Vulnerable Cabot’s tragopan Tragopan caboti in Wuyishan, Jiangxi, China? 2009.
College of Life Sciences,
Beijing Normal University,
P. R. China
Tel. : +86-10-58801849